Frequently Asked Questions - Locksmith Company (LCO)
- What are the requirements for licensing a locksmith company?
The general requirements for a locksmith company are:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Undergo a criminal history review by the Department of Justice and the FBI
- Specify who will run the business on a day-to-day basis
You must submit your application along with your fictitious business name, two recent passport quality photos, Live Scan form signed by the live scan operator, and the appropriate fee to the Bureau. Each applicant, partner, or officer of the company must undergo a Department of Justice & FBI background check to be evaluated on an individual basis.
- What is the length of term for a locksmith company license (LCO)?
The Locksmith Company license is valid for two years.
- What is a temporary registration for locksmith employee? Will I get one to work
with while I am waiting for my actual license?
Yes. A temporary registration is issued if you have not been convicted of a crime and have not answered "Yes" to any of the questions on your original application. The temporary registration is good for 120 days so that you may work in your job or until you receive your actual registration.
- I was denied a locksmith license. When can I reapply?
An applicant who has been denied a license may submit a new application one year from the date of denial.
- Do I need a BSIS license if I only make duplicate keys?
- How do I notify the Bureau of my change of address?
You must notify the Bureau in writing within 30 days of such change. Be sure that you include your license number, name, previous address, the new address, date of birth and Social Security number Please print information.
- I received a 1203.4 dismissal on my conviction. Do I still need to report the
conviction on my application?
Yes. You must report the conviction.
- What forms must be included in the application package?
- Application for License (Form 31A-4)
- Personal Identification (Form 31A-9)
- The second copy of the Live Scan Form (BCII 8016) signed by the Live Scan operator.
- Two recent passport quality photographs
- Request for Authorization of Business name [Form 31A-12, if applicable]
- Corporate applicants only: endorsed Articles of Incorporation or the Statement by a Foreign Corporations (if filed with the Secretary of State)