Bureau of Security and Investigative Services

Right Column

Frequently Asked Questions - Security Guard (G)

  1. What is a "contract" Security Guard?

    Any person employed by a licensed private patrol operator who provides services as a security guard and is registered by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services as a security guard.

  2. What are the requirements for registering as a Security Guard?

    The general requirements for a Security Guard are:

    • Be at least 18 years old
    • Undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); and
    • Complete a 40-hour course of required training. The training and exam may be administered by any private patrol operator or by a certified training facility.

    40 Hour Security Guard Training Requirement

    Date of Completion Training Hours Needed
    Prior to Being Assigned on Post 8 Hours
    Training Required within the First 30 Days 16 Hours
    Training Required within the First Six Months 16 Hours
  3. What is the length of term for a Security Guard registration?

    A security guard registration is valid for two years.

  4. Can I verify receipt of my Security Guard application?

    Yes. Please contact the Bureau at (916) 322-4000.

  5. When does my Security Guard registration expire?

    A security guard registration expires the day after the expiration date on the card. You have 60 days grace period in which you can pay a delinquent fee (see fee schedule). After 60 days if you have not renewed, you must reapply as a new applicant.

  6. If I lost my security guard registration, or it was destroyed or damaged, how do I obtain a duplicate?

    You may request a duplicate registration by submitting a written request, explaining the circumstances, along with a $10 fee to the Bureau. Please allow six to eight weeks for replacement.

  7. Can a family member, such as father to son, give the power to arrest test to that individual who is applying for a Security Guard registration?

    Yes, if they are licensed or delegated by a licensed authority to do so.

  8. How do I notify the Bureau of my change of address?

    You must notify the Bureau in writing within 30 days of an address change. Be sure to include your Security Guard registration number, name, previous address, new address, date of birth, and Social Security number. Please print or type information.

  9. Can a Security Guard work for more than one employer?

    Yes, as long as he/she is an employee, on payroll with the proper payroll deductions being made.

  10. How does a Security Guard renew his/her registration?

    Submit a renewal application/letter of request and fees for renewal. Mail the request to:

    Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
    P.O. Box 989002
    West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002

    Application and renewal fees should be submitted to the Bureau at least 60-90 days prior to the expiration date. You need to submit your request for renewal as soon as possible to allow the Bureau time to process your renewal and get your renewed registration returned to you. You may continue to work for a period of 90 days.

  11. I have completed 832 PC training. Can I obtain a Security Guard registration?

    No. In order to get the Bureau's registration/permit; you must complete the Bureau's training.

  12. Can an emancipated minor apply for a Security Guard registration?

    No. The law allows no exceptions to the age requirement.

  13. I am changing employers; should I send in a new Security Guard registration application?

    No. A guard registration authorizes you to work as a Security Guard for any Private Patrol Operator or in-house employer.

  14. I was denied a Security Guard registration. When can I reapply?

    You may submit a new application one year from the date of denial.

  15. I received a 1203.4 dismissal on my conviction. Do I still need to report the conviction on my application?

    Yes. You still must report the conviction.