California Private Investigator Qualified Managers Wanted!
Apply to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to assist in the Bureau’s Exam Development Workshops
As an expert, you will have the opportunity to contribute to your profession and work with other licensed Private Investigator Qualified Managers from around the state to assist in the completion of an exam development workshop. Your knowledge and experience as a qualified manager is essential for the success of this process.
What are exam development workshops?
These workshops are necessary to develop licensing examinations that are fair, job-related, and legally defensible. As an SME, your primary function at these workshops is to establish examination questions that reflect current entry-level practice so that new licensees have sufficient knowledge and experience to ensure public health and safety.
How do I participate?
There are three types of workshops (dates listed below) that you may participate in:
- Reclassification Workshop
Participants use the new exam plan created from the most recent occupational analysis to reclassify existing test questions (item bank) for the next exam cycle.
- Item Writing/Review
Participants receive training from a testing specialist and review and revise new and existing questions for clarity, relevance and technical accuracy.
- Exam Construction/Passing Score
Participants apply minimum competence standards to establish a criterion-referenced passing score for the exam created in the exam construction workshop. The participants will be asked to take the exam, rate the difficulty of the items, and participate in workshop discussion.
Where are the workshops located and how long are they?
Workshops take place at the Office of Professional Examination Services, 2420 Del Paso Road, Ste. 265, in Sacramento and are typically two-day workshops conducted from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
How do I qualify to participate?
To qualify to serve as a subject matter expert you must:
- Currently be an active Private Investigator Qualified Manager in good standing with the Bureau;
- Possess up-to-date skills;
- Agree not to participate at any time in any licensing examination coaching or preparation courses;
- Not be affiliated as a teacher with a private investigator program. The Office of Professional Examination Services enforces a stringent security policy, and workshop participants will be required to sign confidentiality forms; and
- Enter into a contract with the state in order to participate, and receive your reimbursement and per diem (Government Code Section 19130 and Business and Professions Code Section 40).
I’m interested! How do I apply?
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in serving as an SME, please complete and submit the Subject Matter Expert Registration Form with your resume. Incomplete applications and applications submitted without a resume will not be considered. E-mail both documents to Kristi.Sutton@dca.ca.gov (e-mail is preferred). You may also fax the completed documents to (916) 575-7287, Attention: Kristi Sutton or mail them to Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, 2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 270, Sacramento, CA 95834.
How do I schedule my travel to the workshop?
If you are selected, the Bureau will assist with travel arrangements for those who live 50 miles or more from the workshop site. Airfare is prepaid by the Bureau. You will need to pay hotel costs and other travel expenses (meals, mileage, and incidentals) up front which will then be reimbursed at California government rates. Participants will be paid an honorarium of $100.00 per day which will be included in your reimbursement after the workshop. It takes 3-6 weeks from the date of submission to the Bureau’s accounting office to process a request for reimbursement. This process cannot be expedited.
If you are selected to participate in the workshops, you will be contacted by a Bureau representative via phone or e-mail. For additional information please contact Kristi Sutton at 916-575-7019.
Exam Development Workshop Dates
- January 21-22, 2015 Reclassification (Wednesday & Thursday) 10 Spots Available
- February 18-19, 2015 – Item Writing/Review (Wednesday & Thursday) 10 Spots Available
- March 11-12, 2015 – Item Writing/ Review (Wednesday & Thursday) 10 Spots Available
- April 22-23, 2015 – Item Writing/ Review (Wednesday & Thursday) 10 Spots Available
- May 5-6, 2015 – Exam Construction/Passing Score (Tuesday & Wednesday) 10 Spots Available