Frequently Asked Questions - Alarm Company Operator Qualified Manager (ACQ) Certificate
- What are the requirements for an ACQ Certificate?
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must have at least two years of paid experience totaling not less than 4,000 hours in alarm company work or the equivalent
- Undergo a criminal history review by the Department of Justice and the FBI via Live Scan fingerprinting
- Pass a written examination
- What forms and documents must be included in the application packet?
- Personal Identification Form: Alarm Company Operator, Principals, Corporate Officers, Managing Members, and Alarm Company Qualified Managers (Form 31D-9)
- Copy of Contractors State License Board C7/C10 license (if applicable)
- Once you apply, submit the Live Scan fingerprinting
- How do I apply?
Apply online using BreEZe .
- How long after I submit the application the Bureau take to notify me of the examination date?
The Bureau must receive the completed application and appropriate fees no later than 20 working days prior to the examination. However, receipt of your application does not guarantee you will be scheduled for the next examination. All applications are processed on a first-come first-served basis.
- How do I retake the ACQ exam?
If you did not pass the exam, you can submit a request for reexamination online using BreEZe along with the reexamination fee which updates in real-time. Create a BreEZe account, pay the application fee, and submit your application for reexamination online. Once the request for reexamination is processed, you will receive a new eligibility notification and instructions for scheduling your exam with PSI, Inc.
- Am I required to hold both an Alarm Company Employee registration and an ACQ certificate?
No. Business and Professions Code (BPC) Section 7598.1 states that an ACQ is not required to register as an Alarm Company Employee registration.
- Is each branch office required to have its own ACQ?
No. Each branch office must have a designated branch manager and that person must have an Alarm Company Employee/Alarm Agent registration. The designated branch office manager shall spend an average of 51 percent of the usual business hours conducting business at the registered branch office.
- I have been employed for 15 years. I am applying for an ACQ. Who can I use for my declarant?
A declarant must be licensed by BSIS and verify that the applicant has performed in a capacity that meets licensing requirements.
- How do I renew my ACQ?
Prior to the expiration of a certificate, the certificate holder may receive a courtesy renewal notice mailed to the last address of record approximately 90 days in advance. Also, a reminder email will be sent approximately 60 days prior to the expiration date if an email address is on the BreEZe account record. Renew online using BreEZe .
- If my ACQ certificate expired must I reapply for a new one?
It depends. An expired certificate may be renewed within three years of the expiration date. Please note, if you renew more than two years after expiration, contact the Bureau by email to determine the correct renewal fee amount due at AlarmCompanies@dca.ca.gov. You must pay a late fee along with the renewal fee. If the expiration date is more than three years, you must reapply for a new certificate.
- How long is the ACQ certificate valid?
An ACQ certificate is valid for 2 years.
- How do I notify the Bureau of my change of address?
You must notify the Bureau in writing within 30 days of an address change. Update your address change online using BreEZe , which updates your registration in real-time.
- If I lost, destroyed or damaged my ACQ certificate, how do I obtain a duplicate?
If you have lost or destroyed your certificate, you may submit a request for a replacement certificate online using BreEZe.
- The name/address was misspelled on my certificate. Is there a fee for a new one?
No. An error made by the Bureau should be corrected without charge. Please clarify the error in writing, submit proof of the Bureau’s error (preferably a copy of the submitted application), and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This does not apply to address changes when submitted after a renewal was paid and already mailed.)