Photo Identification Cards Instructions


The Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) is partnered with Psychological Services Industries (PSI) to issue photo identification cards for the following license types:

  • Alarm Company Qualified Manager Certificate
  • Alarm Company Employee Registration
  • Locksmith Employee Registration
  • Private Investigator Company License
  • Repossessor Agent Registration
  • Repossessor Qualifying Manager Certificate
  • Security Guard Registration

The following questions and answers will provide you with information on how to obtain photo ID cards. Please note that this process is different for Private Investigators. If you are a Private Investigator, please skip to the section titled "Private Investigators Enhanced Photo ID Cards" below.

  1. What are the eligibility requirements to obtain a photo ID card?
    To be eligible to obtain a photo ID card, you must possess one of the seven BSIS license types listed above.
  2. How much does it cost to get a photo ID card and who do I pay?
    A $5 photo printing fee is collected directly by PSI at the location site and may only be paid with a Visa or MasterCard. For Private Investigators, please skip to the section titled "Private Investigators Enhanced Photo ID Cards" below.
  3. Where do I go to get the photo ID?
    Photo IDs are provided by PSI at 20 sites located throughout California and 20 sites located outside of California. See below for a list of all available PSI sites that provide photo ID services.
  4. How do I schedule an appointment to get a photo ID?
    PSI does not offer appointments for photo IDs. You may walk-in to take your photo at any of the 40 PSI centers listed below. Walk-ins are on a first come, first serve basis.
  5. To prevent processing delays, what should I do before going to a PSI location?
    Before visiting a PSI location, you should verify that your Address Of Record (AOR) is current and up-to-date because your photo ID will be mailed to the AOR on file with the Bureau. Additionally, you should verify that the name on your license, registration, or certificate matches the name listed on the photo ID used to verify your identity (i.e. State Driver's License, Military ID, Passport).
  6. How do I find out what AOR the Bureau has on file for my license, registration, or certificate?
    To verify your AOR, log-in or create an account online in BreEZe. If your address has changed, you can submit an address change request online, which will update the Bureau's records automatically.
  7. The name on my license, registration, or certificate does not match my CA driver’s license, passport, or military ID. Will PSI be able to take my photo and issue a photo ID?
    No. The name on your license, registration, or certificate must match the name listed on your photo ID used to verify your identity (i.e. State Driver's License, Military ID, Passport). If your name does not match, you must correct it with the Bureau before going to the PSI location. You can either submit a name change request online in BreEZe or you can complete the Notification of Name Change form and mail it to the Bureau. Reminder: include all required documentation in order to prevent processing delays. Once your name has been corrected in the Bureau’s records, you can visit a PSI location to obtain a photo ID.
  8. What do I need to bring to the PSI location?
    Before visiting PSI to obtain your photo ID, call the nearest location (see below for list) to ensure that the center is open and able to process your request. You will need to bring payment of $5 (Visa or MasterCard only) and a valid photo ID (e.g. State Driver's License, Military ID, Passport, etc.) to receive a photo ID. Please note, Private Investigators do not need to bring payment. They will only need to get their photo taken at the PSI site location.
  9. When will I receive the photo ID?
    You should receive your photo ID in the mail within two weeks.
  10. It has been over two weeks and I haven’t received my photo ID, what should I do?
    If you haven't received your photo ID after two weeks, contact the PSI location where you originally went to take the photo and ask staff to check on the status of your photo ID card.

Private Investigators Enhanced Photo ID Cards

The enhanced photo identification card is mandatory and is required by law (Section 7529 of the Private Investigator Act). A new card will be issued upon the approval of an initial or renewal application. Please note that as required by law, a $4 fee per principal on the license will be added to the initial license fee and the renewal fee, so payment is not needed at the PSI site location. This fee is in addition to existing Bureau licensing fees. Private Investigators who are approved for an initial license will need to get their photos taken at one of the PSI centers listed below. Those who are renewing will be issued the enhanced photo identification card automatically using the picture on file with PSI.

Private Investigators going to a PSI center for their photograph must present a government-issued identification card. Acceptable photo identification cards are:

  1. An unexpired State Driver's License.
  2. An unexpired State Identification Card.
  3. A current U.S. military-issued identification card.
  4. A valid passport issued within the last five years.

To be eligible for a photo identification card, you must be a principal member of a private Investigator License. You must hold one of the following titles:

  1. Qualified Manager
  2. Owner
  3. Partner
  4. Officer of a Corporation (i.e., president, vice president, secretary, etc.)

Note: If you hold one of these positions and are not listed as one of the principal members of a company, you are not eligible to obtain a photo identification card.

For a list of PSI centers to have your photo taken, you can click on the link provided or scan the QR Code.

PSI Center Locations:

QR Code:  PSI Center Locations