Locksmith Fact Sheet
Locksmith Company and Locksmith Employees
Requirements for Licensure
A locksmith operates a business that installs, repairs, opens or modifies locks, or that originates keys for locks. (An individual who simply duplicates existing keys is not considered a locksmith.)
An individual, partnership, or corporation seeking a license as a locksmith must specify in the application the individual who will manage the business on a day-to-day basis. (An owner, partner, or corporate officer may serve as the manager, or may hire someone to fill this role.) In order to obtain the company license, each individual applicant, partner, or corporate officer must undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to be evaluated on an individual basis.
To apply for a Locksmith Company license you must:
- Submit the application for licensure along with a $75 application and license fee
- Submit two recent passport-quality photographs
- Submit a Locksmith Company Live Scan form signed by the Live Scan Operator, including the ATI number. A $32 DOJ fingerprint processing fee, $17 FBI fingerprint processing fee, and Live Scan site processing fee must be paid at the Live Scan site for each applicant, partner and officer. Send your application package to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002.
- For a license under a fictitious business name, the application shall include a certified copy of the fictitious business name statement filed with the County Clerk.
A copy of the Locksmith Act is available through this link: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/about_us/laws/locksmith_law.shtml and you will receive a copy of the Locksmith Act with your license.
Note: If the company performs work at a single site that exceeds $500, a contractor's license is also required (C-28/C-61/D-16). For more information, contact the Contractors' State License Board at (916) 255-3900 or (800) 321-2752 or visit their Web site: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/.
Note: Local government may require a business permit.
To be eligible to apply for registration as a locksmith employee, you must meet the following requirements:
- Undergo a criminal history background check through the DOJ and the FBI
- Submit your completed application, a $20 registration fee, and a Locksmith Employee Live Scan form signed by the Live Scan Operator, including the ATI number. A $32 DOJ fingerprint processing fee, a $17 FBI fingerprint processing fee, and Live Scan site processing fee must be paid at the Lives Scan site. Send your application package to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002
Once you have submitted your application and appropriate fees, you will be issued a 120-day temporary registration. (Individuals who have been convicted of any crime will not be issued a temporary registration.)
To request an application for registration as a locksmith employee or licensure as a locksmith company, call 916-322-4000 or 1-800-952-5210, or visit our Web site: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/.
"Protection of the public shall be the highest priority for the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services in exercising licensing, regulatory and disciplinary functions. Whenever the protection of the public is consistent with other interests sought to be promoted, the protection of the public shall be paramount."